To respect the needs of students at the SLC and create equal opportunity for election candidates, we have created some guidelines for campaigning in the SLC.
These opportunities and guidelines were drafted by students and are in place to ensure candidates are able to effectively engage with their peers, that all candidates are given equal opportunity and to ensure the SLC’s #1 principle of respecting the needs of students is met. If you have any questions about this, do not hesitate to contact email@example.com.
All individuals campaigning in the building are required to wear a campaign pass, available at the SLC Welcome Desk. When the Welcome Desk is closed, visit SLC HQ (SLC 516) or speak to a staff member in the building.
To get a Campaign Pass:
- Check in at the Welcome Desk,
- Fill out the Campaign sign-in sheet, and
- Exchange your OneCard for a Campaign Pass.
- When you’re done campaigning, sign out and return the Campaign Pass for your OneCard.
This campaign pass shows SLC guests that you are approved to be there and acts as a way to monitor the total number of people campaigning in the building.
All candidates and slates are permitted a maximum of five campaigners in the SLC at any one time. This is to allow candidates to have presence in the SLC without overwhelming students studying here.
- Campaigning is permitted only on the 1st floor (including the seating above Starbucks) and the 6th floor. Candidates must be at least 8 feet from the elevators, and must not block accessibility ramps, stairwells or fire exits.
- Campaigners on the 1st floor shall not interfere with events occurring in the Amphitheatre.
If candidates do not follow these campaigning guidelines, SLC staff will keep a record of infractions and, where requested, provide this information to the appropriate Returning Officer.
- To help candidates engage with the student body, candidates can request a table. Each table comes with two chairs. Tables will be allocated on a first-come first-served basis depending on availability and space.
- To request a table, submit a tabling request form. If you are a member of a slate, please indicate this in your submission. Tabling requests must be submitted at least 13 business days in advance and are subject to availability.
- If a table is not claimed within 30 mins of the requested start time, the table will be removed and the request will be considered a ‘no-show’. Regular tabling guidelines apply.
- The SLC has a no postering policy that candidates must adhere to.